Hosted by Nelson Search and Rescue, West Kootenay Regional Swiftwater Team
We will have a registration set up Friday afternoon at the campsite to get everyone signed in to task sheets. There will not be any group meals on Friday. We have secured a number of sites for camping and we are hoping to load them up to keep costs down as much as possible. If you want a site for yourself or for an RV this may make extra cost to us but we will figure out a way to meet the needs of the group.
Breakfast and dinners will be camp style and as we are very low on volunteers we will rely on the group to help out here and there with meals and clean up. If you have dietary needs please let us know.
We are organizing shuttle drivers to make the flow of the river trips smoother but we will have to organize boats and trailers the night before to make sure we can get everyone and all the boats to the river and back again. There is a 40 min drive between the camp and the put-in.
To make sure there is no confusion. Members coming to train must supply their own PPE and we need to know what boats are coming, if they are coming on trailers and if anyone is bringing vehicles that can assist in transporting members to and from the river. There is a fair bit of unknown to the logistics of getting everyone around on the river but if we all work together we will have a great time paddling.
If you are bringing family or friends (absolutely welcome) that would like to help, please let us know. The $25 dollar charge is for anyone wanting a tee shirt and to partake in group meals. Please only register if you can for sure make the event.
BYOB, make sure you have a lawn chair and are prepared for the weather. There is a great group of people coming and it will be a great time for networking and making new friends. Paddlers are a great bunch of folks!
Those seeking BCROA license can gain their hours through the summer, and we’ll set up an examination date in the Summer. Date TBD.
The weekends schedule is planned as follows: Always subject to change!
Friday, May 27th, 2022
- 1900 hrs. Registration and evening meet and greet
Saturday, May 28th, 2022
- 0700 – 0800 hrs. Breakfast
- 0800 – 1200 hrs. Dryland workshops (Kokanee Park) This will be 4, 1 hour workshops on safety talks, equipment rescue, and guide standard throw bagging,
- 1200 – 1300 hrs. Lunch
- 1300 – 1730 hrs. River training trip (Slocan River) This trip will focus on quadrant theory and boat operations. We will be doing eddy hoping, working on flip drills and swimmer rescue.
- 1830 BBQ and socializing
Sunday, May 29st, 2022
- 0700 –0800 hrs. Breakfast
- 0800 – 1200 hrs. Morning rafting trip The day will be focusing on river running on Slocan River using the skills learned the day before.
- 1300 – 1730 hrs. For those able to leave later on Sunday – afternoon rafting trip. This will be a fun run continuing to practice core skills. The more experienced paddlers will have an option to run the Little Slocan River.
- 1830 Dinner and entertainment
Kokanee Cr Provincial Park, Red Fish site will be reserved for this event. Located across the orange bridge, 22 min North East of Nelson.
Map here: https://goo.gl/maps/VYJjnaa6eE22
Raftex 2018 was a great success with over 30 Swiftwater members from 9 teams in attendance.